Causes of Family Issues
- The death of a family member or close friend – your whole family may deal with grief in differing ways.
- Substance abuse – if someone in your family is abusing substances their behaviour may disrupt cohesion within your family and place your family in situations that impact their wellbeing.
- Physical or emotional abuse toward another family member – if family members are abusive this needs to stop as it impacts this entire family unit.
- Financial stress, debt or a loss of a job – financial issues can create a change in lifestyle for the family.
- Clashing personalities – family members may hold differing opinions, this can prevent family members from fostering meaningful relationships with one another.
- Divorce or separation – divorce and separation can be difficult for all members of your family including children.
How we help
Family counselling involves family members talking together or alone with a counsellor. These sessions allow family members to:
- Understand each other’s grievances, perspectives and expectations
- Respect each other’s opinions and views
- Negotiate strategies that all family members are comfortable with to fulfil relationship needs
- Family members taking responsibility for their action
If you want to improve the relationships and interactions you have with family members, family counselling can help you to do this.